What does The Work Mean to You?

hroeder

What does The Work Mean to You?

Postby hroeder » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:05 pm

You've met some 4th way traveler to make it here.

What are you searching for?

Who did you Meet? How?

Why is this different than other modes you've met?

Do you have questions?

MichaelShankland

Re: What does The Work Mean to You?

Postby MichaelShankland » Tue May 27, 2014 4:46 pm

The Work gives me greater choice.

For example a colleague of mine at the office who became a friend for years suddenly broke off all contact with me . If I bump into her she will run off to avoid having to talk.

There are those 'i's who want to make accounts against her, find every fault going, then also 'i's that want to deny that and just forget about the whole issue, but somewhere there is an 'i' that realises as Dr. Nichol states 'I have a right not to be negative'. I can fuel the negative emotions OR say I'm not going identify with them. They are of no use. There's this tiny but very precious window of extra options.

I can refuse to say anything bad against her. When I feel resentment, I can non-identify. The intellectual and emotional centres work at different speeds.

hroeder

Postby hroeder » Wed May 28, 2014 12:36 pm

Michael,

Is this really a matter of choice? Or is it a reminder to observe the situation.

We have had some discussions in the past about neutralizing force and how it needs to be applied in situations like this. When we bounce back and forth we end bouncing into our "selves". Rather recognize and be equalizing. For yourself. She is leading her own life. And just as you cannot alter the course of a tornado you cannot alter her behavior.

MichaelShankland

Postby MichaelShankland » Wed May 28, 2014 1:24 pm

Yes not attempting to alter said person's behaviour. But do I have a choice re my behaviour ? I'd say yes- via none identifying, and that in order to non-identify there has to be an observing 'i' created ; one that stands aside and watches the little 'I's argue amongst themselves.

hroeder wrote:Michael,

Is this really a matter of choice? Or is it a reminder to observe the situation.

We have had some discussions in the past about neutralizing force and how it needs to be applied in situations like this. When we bounce back and forth we end bouncing into our "selves". Rather recognize and be equalizing. For yourself. She is leading her own life. And just as you cannot alter the course of a tornado you cannot alter her behavior.

rideforever

Postby rideforever » Wed May 28, 2014 6:34 pm

hroeder wrote:Is this really a matter of choice? Or is it a reminder to observe the situation.

It seemed to me that Michael had gone beyond pacifying personality, and entered Presence, a stable state which was separate from the energy of the event.

Did you suspect something different was occurring ?

MichaelShankland

Postby MichaelShankland » Fri May 30, 2014 5:08 pm

I hadn't thought about 'pacifying' personality-more a matter of being conscious of an alternative state that is distinct from the personality, with its cluster of 'i's and huge mass of associations. Dr. Nichol suggested that states of being taste different. The Work gives me a chance to taste something else.

rideforever wrote:It seemed to me that Michael had gone beyond pacifying personality, and entered Presence, a stable state which was separate from the energy of the event.

Did you suspect something different was occurring ?

hroeder

Postby hroeder » Fri May 30, 2014 6:31 pm

Michael,

I would agree with that "taste" comment. When I am reading Gurdjieff, I know. My centers feel that I am in touch with a source.

I have used Nicoll for a number of years as a morning reading. Just pick up one of the lectures volumes and read a day at random. Seemed to always come up with better advice than the Tarot, the I Ching, or other means.

Understanding leads to that feeling. Being plus knowledge equal understanding.

Harry

MichaelShankland

Postby MichaelShankland » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:26 pm

Harry- I've tried reading Nichol at random but now want to read the whole commentaries in order. Also to read with attention. And to avoid skipping the sections that the personality doesn't find appealing such as the Hydrogens !
What I've started to do is to pick a phrase or sentence from the section that I've read and experience what is meant.
Today's phrase was 'inner silence'.

mguru
Site Admin

Postby mguru » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:06 am

Michael , you may find convenient listening to the audio of the Commentaries via this link

https://sites.google.com/site/mauriceni ... me-1-audio

Replacing the '1' in the link with '2' and '3' gives access to the audio of those volumes as well.

Gururaj

rideforever

Postby rideforever » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:25 am

This machine recording reminded me of a 'project' on the internet where people read and record literature and are creating an large archive of that material, which would have a higher value than the machine readings currently available.
In some cases it is one person reading and recording a book, in another it is done collaboratively chapter-wise. It may be interesting for someone to undertake this work with the Nicoll material.

https://librivox.org

Return to “Forum for Visitors”